Sunday, December 4, 2011

Update on Bambi & Diesel


HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all!

As Bambi and Diesel continue to recover their health and get their energy back, it is Bambi who has bounced back the quickest (if over a month is quick) and this week she was definitely feeling her Wheaties.  Several times I saw her bouncing around in their stall trying to kick up her heels and blow off some energy in a 12' x 18' space.  Amazing how quickly she can put the brakes on.....

In the midst of her frivolity and jumping for joy was poor Diesel.  Still not 100%, not only did he look at her like she was NUTS, he was trying to very unsuccessfully stay out of the way of the tornado in the stall.  No longer showing any symptoms of strangles or even the slightest runny nose from the weather, we decided it was time for her to go!    

Go to her own stall that is and we just happened to have one right next to Cinnabon's stall.  So today was the day for the big move.  She is stepping up to a large 48' x 24' stall and she decided to try every inch of it once she realized that there was room to move around.  Talk about bucking and snorting, let's add some rearing and pawing at the air, not to mention a few moves I don't think there are names for.  Heaven, pure heaven.  I got some video that I will post as soon as I get a chance to edit, that shows just how much fun she was having.

Air Bambi having the time of her life running around.

The entire time Cinnabon, in the adjoining stall, looks on wondering, "who is that flake going berserk in the stall next to me?".  I think she was getting dizzy just watching Bambi going in fun-filled circles.  Diesel on the other hand, never took his face out of the feeder thinking, "man, I get this all to myself!".

We had some special guests come for a visit today.  A young lady named Mackenzie (not sure of the spelling) who is thinking she may want her own horse, came with her mom and brother to see what horses were all about.  Her mom thought she might get a feel for the work involved if she got a chance to volunteer to help some horses that needed some extra TLC.   How very cute is was to watch a young horse and a young lady get to know each other.  By the time Mackenzie left, Bambi was following her around on the lead line and stopping when she stopped and it was clear to all that they enjoyed each others company.  Cutest part was they could look at each other eye to eye....just the right size!  She will be returning to put some more volunteer time in with Bambi.

After they left it was time for Cinnabon and Bambi to get to know each other across the pipe panels.  A lot of teeth clacking from Bambi and Cinnabon swung her butt around a few times, as if to say, "I'm the one in charge here!".  But there was no kicking or bad manners.   They are much closer in size to each other than Bambi and Diesel and I noticed that Bambi's six month teeth are starting to come in so I think they are 3-4 month apart in age.

Bambi is checking out Cinnabon on the other side of the panel

Since Bambi has become so used to being handled by people and enjoys the hands on attention so much, I hope it will rub off on Cinnabon and she will open up to me handling her more and more.   She is my next big challenge.  

Diesel seemed to miss Bambi a little bit this afternoon, they were whinnying across the driveway to each other and there was quite a conversation going on between the two of them.   Even Cinnabon joined in the conversation for a short time.   I wish I could understand what they were saying to each other.  

I knew he was glad to have his own space when I watched him spread out to take a nap in the sun.  He stretched out as far as he could from toe to toe.   I was in cleaning the stall and while he was laying down he let me pick out all his feet.  They were loaded with thrush when he came and now they are looking normal and he is getting really good at having his feet handled.  Either laying down or standing up.  

As you can tell from the picture on top, we had some fun today taking pictures.  I need to get a Santa hat to put on him.  I had several and a thorough search will be made tomorrow to see if I can put my hands on them.    He's my little doll baby and loves playing dress up!!!  Getting him ready for a future riding in parades with fun costumes on.  

I wanted to say a special thank you to Jan T and Linda H for their donations to help the horses at EqWBR.   Linda made her donation as a Christmas gift for Lisa and Tony.   What a wonderful gift to give!

If you would like to help out during this Holiday season, donations can be sent to 
PO Box 324, Ramona, CA 92065

 or 




The generosity of so many caring people allows us to care for these horses in need.  Thank you all so much!

Christine, Founder
christine@EquineWellBeing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment