Monday, January 14, 2019

Noel's one month anniversary at the rescue

20190112 123558
What a beautiful, sweet face. Noel's eyes finally have a little spark to them and she is starting to enjoy her days more now that she knows food will always be there for her.
20190112 right side
She arrived at the rescue on 12-12-18 and the left side of the picture was taken that day. As you can see from the picture on the right side, taken 1-12-19, she has started to put on weight, perhaps 70-80 pounds.
Her coat is still coarse but that will get better too as her body heals from months and months of mal-nutrition.
20190112 topline
This is Noel's spine area. Again the left side was taken 12-12-18 of her spine and hips....skin on bones.
The right side was taken 1-12-19 and you can see she is starting to put some meat on those bones and filling out a little all over. You can see her coat is a little better too.
20190112 right side full
Here is a better look at her full body, again photos taken 12-12-18 and 1-12-19. The first week of January we saw temperatures at six-below zero, we had big snow, winds, extremely cold days and nights. Keeping her bundled in a blanket and in her own private stall out of the elements she was even able to gain weight through the worst winter weather we have seen in many, many years.
We are now letting her socialize with the other horses in the pasture during the day and stalling her up again at night so we can continue to track her food consumption. All in all we are pleased with her rehabilitation so far. She has a long way to go, many months, but soon we can address additional health care needs, dental work, a follow up blood draw and soon she will need her feet done. In the meantime she has learned that we are kind and she will always have food to eat and even whinny's when she sees us.
On the other hand...my rehab has not gone as well. My last email I let you know I had the Christmas crud that has been going around. Boy feeding during those subzero days and nights was exhausting and I found out why when I went to the doctor last week. Turns out I have had pneumonia through the holidays, not a cold. I have never had pneumonia before so I had no idea that is what was wrong. Needless to say I am doing everything I have been told by the doctor to get better (meds, supplements, herbs, essential oils, fluids, rest).
I want to say thank you to everyone who has donated in the past few weeks and to let you know as I get better I will send you a donation receipt for your taxes. In the meantime please bare with me as I have to put the care of the equine first and the office work will sit for a little while as I recover.
Huge thank you also to Judi, Mari, Candi and Steve who have been able to come help with feeding/chores in the morning giving me a break a few days week and Lary who has taken on the night feedings giving me the ability to rest and recuperate. You are angels to me and I appreciate you SO MUCH!
Hope you are all well, if not, I hope you are well soon. Happy 2019 to all!!!!

Many, many thanks for all you do to help the rescue! Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment