Wednesday, December 21, 2011

It's the Trimming time of year!

I still have yet to put the ornaments up on our Christmas tree.  It's been up for two weeks and has lights on and a few ornaments on it that I got at a recent holiday party ornament exchange, but with all that has been going on I haven't found the time to all out "trim" the tree.  But that's not all the trimming that needs to be done this time of year and today we had the opportunity do a little different kind of trimming for the holiday's.

A gal I hadn't seen since the 2007 wild fires when we both worked with Emergency Animal Rescue and helped with the 160 horses that were housed in a local arena (among other various animals) having been evacuated from their homes and helped get food out to other animals still left at home with absent owners (shelter in place), Amanda Kohr came to check out Bizzy's feet for her new soon to be foster family.

How good to see her again after so many years.  While she was giving Bizzy the once over and telling Ted what great feet Bizzy had, we talked about what was going on here at the rescue and each of the fallon foals Bambi, Diesel and weanling Cinnabon.  I asked about their feet and if she could take a look at them and thankfully she had the time.   So off we went so I could introduce her to each of the babies and give them their holiday trims....

Bambi & Amanda - first trim 12-21-11

Bambi has had lots of practice having her feet handled with me cleaning her feet, but doing the trim takes a little longer and the nipper and rasp were definitely a new feeling.   She really didn't fuss about it much.  Just a little bit because it does take longer to do the trim than just cleaning them out, but we would give her a break between feet and move her so she could square up again for balance.  Amanda said that whoever ended up adopting Bambi was getting a horse with good feet, they were in great shape and the thrush she had a few weeks ago is totally gone.

Diesel & Amanda - first trim 12-21-11

Diesel did awesome too.  I have been a little worried that his hooves would have problems because of the mal-nutrition and infection that he suffered for so long, his pasterns were really weak for a while, but have been firming up better as the weeks go by.   Because of his low pasterns his hooves seemed very long with low heals.  Other than a small bruise on his right hind foot (sorry I didn't get a picture) his hooves were overall in good shape and the thrush is totally gone too.   Phew, what a relief.  

Now that the first trims are done, I can do touch ups with the rasp every week and that will help extend the time between trims and get them used to the feel of the rasp and their feet being handled.  I sure am glad to know both their feet are fine and I just need to keep an eye on that small bruise on Diesel's foot.

Amanda was kind enough to give us a discount for the horses at the rescue which is a nice way to help the donated dollars go further and we really appreciate her helping out like that.  I also want to thank Lisa, Jan, Lois & Paul,  Miya & Steve, Joanna, Michelle, Stef and Celia for their donations to help the horses at EqWBR, so I was able to schedule Dr. Christi for next week, and she will be coming out to do a check up on Diesel and pregnancy check on Shala.

Christmas is my favorite time of year, probably because it's my birthday too and I do love trimming the tree and I have a wonderful collection of ornaments that bring back memories every time I unpack them.  In fact on my facebook page I have an entire album I posted last year with each of the ornaments pictured, that's how much I love trimming the tree...   But I have to tell you, I loved doing today's trimming just as much!!!

Christine
760-703-4860
christine@EquineWellBeing.com 


If you are considering year end donations, we would sure appreciate it if you would help support the horses here with a donation, every dollar is put to good use for the well-being of the horses.










No comments:

Post a Comment